[asterisk-dev] AST.pdf and AST.txt

Stephane Chazelas stephane.chazelas at seebyte.com
Sun Sep 18 14:23:50 CDT 2011

2011-08-31 16:12:55 -0400, Leif Madsen:
[...]
> >AST.txt can't be read in any text editor I have or in the
> >good old "vi". What kind of txt format is this file supposed
> >to be in?
>
> Loads fine for me, although I agree it's not in a great readable
> format.
[...]

I'd say it's pretty useless as it is. See for instance the table
on contents on one line. Trying to extract the Digium and
asterisk MIBs out of it (or from the PDF one) is a pain for
instance.

Note that there are as least two implementations of pdftotext,
and they take options that can improve matters slightly.

On debian, there's one in the poppler-utils package. See the
-raw and -layout options.

> I suppose that's the problem with using pdftotext. Jira
> doesn't have a "wiki to text" export interface. Really this should
> probably be a PDF or something converted to HTML and then read with
> lynx/links, but I have a feeling some people won't find that
> acceptable.
[...]

There is a "wiki to HTML" though (see
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/spaces/viewspacesummary.action?key=AST)

Those can be converted to text with elinks/w3m and give better
results than pdftotext.

--
Stephane