[asterisk-dev] unexpected behavior between chan_sip and chan_iax2 configuration files

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Wed Sep 7 21:24:16 CDT 2011

On Wednesday, September 07, 2011 06:02:52 PM Paul Belanger wrote:
> On 11-09-03 05:47 PM, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > On Saturday, September 03, 2011 12:58:57 PM Paul Belanger wrote:
> >> My question is, does chan_iax2 actually support binding to
> >> multiple interfaces? Making it different then chan_sip or should
> >> the binding happen like chan_sip, after parsing the complete
> >> configuration file?
> >
> > It does, but not in the way that you might expect.  It only
> > supports setting a particular peer's sourceaddress in the peer
> > definition to one of the alternate bind addresses.  If a packet is
> > received on the "wrong" socket, the connection will likely not
> > work correctly, because IAX depends upon receiving a response from
> > the same IP as to which it sent the original packet.
>
> Thanks for the information, personally I don't like it but I'll have
> to live with it.
>
> However, since I am on the topic of 'overwriting' settings in a
> configuration file, is the following example in asterisk supported?
>
> foo.conf
> ---
> bar = yes
> bob = smith
> bar = no
>
> I would assume bar is 'no', am I correct in thinking this is how
> configuration files should work?  Excluding the original example with
> bindaddr and chan_iax2.

No, the configuration file, after being parsed, will contain two entries,
one with yes and one with no, separated by another entry named bob.
It's up to the particular module to determine what to do with these
values.  Consider another example:

iax.conf
---
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
allow=gsm

Now, to repeat your question back to you, is allow in the configuration
file ulaw or gsm?  It's both, right?

--
Tilghman