[asterisk-dev] unexpected behavior between chan_sip and chan_iax2 configuration files

Paul Belanger pabelanger at digium.com
Sat Sep 3 12:58:57 CDT 2011

Consider the following two configuration files:

---
; sip.conf
[general]
udpbindaddr = 127.0.0.1:5060
#include "sip.general.conf.inc"

---
; sip.general.conf.inc
udpbindaddr = 192.168.1.195:5060

---
; iax.conf
[general]
bindaddr = 127.0.0.1
#include "iax.general.conf.inc"

---
; iax.general.conf.inc
bindaddr = 192.168.1.195

I would expect both to have the same behavior, which chan_sip.c will
bind to 192.168.1.195.  This is because, as I understand, chan_sip can
actually only bind to one interface (due to how it is written).

However with chan_iax2, I am seeing something different.  It not only
binds to 192.168.1.195 but it also binds to 127.0.0.1.  It seem with the
bindaddr setting for chan_iax2, it does not override the previous
setting like chan_sip.c.

I took a look into chan_iax2 and can see why, as the configuration
setting is read, asterisk binds right away. Where chan_sip, binds after
all the configuration file settings have been read.

My question is, does chan_iax2 actually support binding to multiple
interfaces? Making it different then chan_sip or should the binding
happen like chan_sip, after parsing the complete configuration file?

--
Paul Belanger
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer