[asterisk-dev] STUN support idea

Jeremy Kister asterisk-dev-01 at jeremykister.com
Mon Oct 31 22:18:51 CDT 2011

On 10/31/2011 12:19 AM, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> seems wasteful (not to mention racy).  Better to have res_stun_monitor
> generate an event at startup, I think, and somehow defer any SIP
> registrations until that event is processed.  Upon reflection, I'll also

i'd caution to not block on stun - stunserver.org DNS was down for two
days just a day ago.

> chan_iax2 is the only other consumer of these events, and it doesn't

i believe you're correct, but shouldn't be :)  chan_gtalk/jabber should
subscribe to res_stun_monitor.  it wasnt clear to me how to get that done.

additionally, and since stunserver.org was offline for two days, i've
been thinking about how to make Asterisk a more reliable STUN client.
It'd be great if Asterisk could use more than one STUN server in
different modes (e.g., distribute load vs failover).  I'm thinking of
coding up a little proxy that Asterisk could talk to which would do all
of the heavy lifting.

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./