[asterisk-dev] [Code Review]: Preserve DTMF length in main/features.c

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Oct 25 02:00:28 CDT 2011

24 okt 2011 kl. 23:39 skrev Russell Bryant:

> I think establishing a policy of who is allowed to give a "ship it" is a very good idea.  I do not think that being a Digium employee is the right criteria.  There are people outside of Digium that should be able to ACK a patch.  Also, a new hire at Digium may not be appropriate to give an ACK, either.
>
> I would propose a 2-tier committers system:
>
>  - A committer (someone with commit access)
>  - A reviewer (a committer that can sign off on non-trivial changes on reviewboard)
>
> Then you have to answer how one can become a committer or a reviewer.  I'll kick off the topic with proposing:
>
>  - A contributer can become a committer if backed by a reviewer.
>  - A committer can become a reviewer if backed by 2 other reviewers.
>
> Obviously everyone who already has commit access would be the committers.  The initial reviewer pool would have to be seeded by project leadership (Kevin, with input from others, I suppose).

While I understand how you think, in practise this will make it impossible to commit any code unless you're actually employed by Digium. I have several reviews out there that gets no feedback at all. I have posted enough posts about how I think this affects contributions and the evolution of the Asterisk PBX.

Mistakes will always be made and that's why we have a trunk that gets review and is tested before release. Making it even more tight means that Digium has to promise to employ more people and guarantee a one time limit on the processing of code reviews. I don't see that the resources to do that exist, so we just have to trust people to try to do the right thing and other people to spot issues and fix them.

/O