[asterisk-dev] building asterisk-scf

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Oct 21 13:57:38 CDT 2011

On 10/21/2011 01:26 PM, Marc Blanchet wrote:
> Hello,
>   following instructions on "https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/TOP/Building+-+Linux" for a clean-new-minimal-install Fedora14, it stopped with:

This should go on the asterisk-scf-dev list.

> cd ice
> cd cpp
> make install
> Creating /opt/Ice-3.4.2...
> mkdir: cannot create directory '/opt/Ice-3.4.2': Permission denied
> cd ../py
> make install
> Creating /opt/Ice-3.4.2...
> mkdir: cannot create directory '/opt/Ice-3.4.2': Permission denied
> cd java
> make install
> complaining about the non-existence of ../cpp/bin/...
>
> Is the build process requires root priv to install in /opt? does not make sense to me. Or are instructions incomplete?

That's up to your Linux distribution; in general, yes, root permission
is required to install software outside of your home directory. The same
situation applies installing Ice on Windows; it must be done with
administrator privileges.

I suppose we could add comments on the wiki pages to tell you to either
build as root or use 'sudo', but at some point we have to assume some
basic knowledge on the part of the person reading the instructions :-)

--
Kevin P. Fleming