[asterisk-dev] SHA1 and MD5 code?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Fri Oct 14 00:18:52 CDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:29 PM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at meg.abyt.es> wrote:
>>
>> An extra dependency is an extra dependency.  We've tried to limit the number
>> of dependencies that Asterisk has.
>
> I hate to have to break it to you, but if you're talking about
> optional dependencies you've utterly failed.  The Fedora Asterisk
> package pulls in around ~50 packages explicitly, and who knows how
> many other packages implicitly.

Did I miss something?  Last I checked, this was not a Fedora list.  What
package maintainers do is routinely quite a bit different from what source
maintainers do.  If people ask for support, the first thing that we ask of them
is to either install the packages we built or build an unadulterated
tarball from
the Asterisk download server.

> There's a lot of other functionality
> in Asterisk that isn't built for the Fedora package yet because it
> requires a library that isn't available in Fedora.

That is rather odd.  Odd, because I haven't found a package yet that is not
available on Ubuntu that Asterisk has support for.  And Fedora is supposed
to be the testing platform for Red Hat.

> I have no idea what the absolute minimum requirements are - it's not
> really a use case I'm personally interested in.

Those of us who have worked for resellers either in the past or in the present
like to load as few modules as possible for production use.  The less code in
the runtime, the less that can go wrong.

>> Now, something that could be done that
>> would be welcome would be to detect whether the OpenSSL library was
>> available; if it was, we would use it and remove the MD5/SHA1 code from the
>> link step.  Debian contributed a patch that does this similarly with the libgsm
>> code.
>
> Schemes like this always strike me as a hack, plus you increase the
> amount of testing that you need to do because certain tests need to be
> run twice, once with OpenSSL linked in and once without.

Well, that's also true of plenty of other modules.  App_voicemail is a prime
example, as it needs to be compiled once with file support, once with ODBC
support, and once with IMAP support.

> BTW, it'd be nice to eliminate libedit from main/editline as well.

If you can find a library with equivalent functionality that is
compatible with the
licensing scheme of Asterisk, we're all ears.  Note that libreadline
is GPL and is
thus incompatible with the dual licensing of Asterisk.

-Tilghman