[asterisk-dev] SHA1 and MD5 code?

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Oct 13 18:29:27 CDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Tilghman Lesher <tilghman at meg.abyt.es> wrote:

> An extra dependency is an extra dependency.  We've tried to limit the number
> of dependencies that Asterisk has.

I hate to have to break it to you, but if you're talking about
optional dependencies you've utterly failed.  The Fedora Asterisk
package pulls in around ~50 packages explicitly, and who knows how
many other packages implicitly.  There's a lot of other functionality
in Asterisk that isn't built for the Fedora package yet because it
requires a library that isn't available in Fedora.

I have no idea what the absolute minimum requirements are - it's not
really a use case I'm personally interested in.

> Now, something that could be done that
> would be welcome would be to detect whether the OpenSSL library was
> available; if it was, we would use it and remove the MD5/SHA1 code from the
> link step.  Debian contributed a patch that does this similarly with the libgsm
> code.

Schemes like this always strike me as a hack, plus you increase the
amount of testing that you need to do because certain tests need to be
run twice, once with OpenSSL linked in and once without.

BTW, it'd be nice to eliminate libedit from main/editline as well.

--
Jeff Ollie