[asterisk-dev] Add hold status with CEL and setting a channel var HOLDING via ast_moh_stop/start and potential res_musiconhold fixup.

Shane R. Spencer shane at bogomip.com
Thu Oct 13 17:07:31 CDT 2011

This may help call centers and phone system administrators who are compiling analytic
information based on call hold times or need events based notification of a call being
placed on hold.

I liked the idea of querying CEL database sources for hold time information. In my
workplace too many people hog phone calls and it's difficult to find a diplomatic solution
that doesn't involve restricting call count.

On top of that I will be using ImportVar to check for the absence of a HOLDING channel
variable for tagged channels in a list. Doing so allows me to automate through generic
user interfaces and AMI hooks actions to be done on an active conversation - transfers,
spying, and using ChanSPY and Playback for automated audio delivery. The goal here is to
select the currently active call.

Using channel->moh_state might not work for what I want or be as predictable as I need it
to be and it requires res_musiconhold to boot.

I'd prefer to write a helper function to query the channel var without using ImportVar but
I wanted to get feedback first.

Also.. there is a potential problem with res_musiconhold where if there was a problem with
initializing music on hold an event isn't passed to AMI, however when a call is removed
from hold an event is sent regardless.

Patches are for asterisk 1.8.4 last I tested.