[asterisk-dev] Things Google

David Bowerman david.bowerman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 02:13:07 CDT 2011

Hi All,

Having recently put up my hand to look after things google
(gtalk/jingle/xmpp etc) in Asterisk, I thought I'd seek a bit of feedback re
its current state / feature set / direction.

As I see it :-

chan_jingle is pretty much cactus and doesn't appear to conform to
XEP-166/167 (the jingle specs). You certainly cant call Asterisk from a
jingle compliant end point.

chan_gtalk is ok (right now) and seems to support Google Talk and Google
Voice calls bi-directionally.

res_jabber is a bit of a monster and provides 'client services' to both
chan_gtalk and chan_jingle, IM Dialplan functionality, and distributed
device state between Asterisk instances via XMPP pubsub. res_jabber is
dependant on libiksemel, but has a bit of bloat around SASL / TLS support
employing extra libraries, where libiksemel now does SASL / TLS negotiation
natively as of version 1.4. I suspect it didnt when res_jabber was first
written.

So, in terms of a plan :-

It would be good to have Asterisk support jingle (i.e XEP-166/167) properly.
Should this remain a separate channel driver (chan_jingle) or be merged with
chan_gtalk?

Should the channel drivers remain so closely tied to res_jabber? or should
they stand alone, leaving res_jabber to do the IM and distributed device
state stuff? simplification...

Is now a good time to consider naming conventions. ie jabber should maybe be
xmpp now? chan_gtalk chan_google ? etc.

I'd appreciate some feed back on this as well as functionality which is not
present. I see Google have gtalk video in beta for Android....

regards

Dave.