[asterisk-dev] [Code Review]: Separate verbose level for logging

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Nov 29 03:17:41 CST 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 04:24:56PM -0000, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> Most people, when they start Asterisk for ad-hoc testing, simply hold
> down the v key for a brief period.  That rarely means that verbosity
> is consistent, runtime-to-runtime.  Could be 5 or 7 or 16 or 22.  We
> could inherit from whatever option_verbose is set to at the time.  My
> issue with that, though, is that the verbosity level can be changed
> during runtime and a 'logger reload' would thus change the logger
> verbosity level, which most people would consider unexpected behavior.
>
> Thus, I think 3 is an acceptable default.

Regarding the current defaults, I'll just point out to the following
code in contrib/scripts/safe_asterisk:

TTY=9
CONSOLE=yes

# ... (No sourcing of any config file in between)

if test "x$TTY" != "x" ; then
        if test -c /dev/tty${TTY} ; then
                TTY=tty${TTY}
        elif test -c /dev/vc/${TTY} ; then
                TTY=vc/${TTY}
        else
                message "Cannot find specified TTY (${TTY})"
                exit 1
        fi
        ASTARGS="${ASTARGS} -vvvg"
        if test "x$CONSOLE" != "xno" ; then
                ASTARGS="${ASTARGS} -c"
        fi
fi

So if you use safe_asterisk and you don't manually patch a non-config
file (that will get verriden on net 'make install'), you get verbosity
level 3.

Which is why some distributions have gotten in to the odd habit of not
including a 'console' entry in their default lopgger.conf .

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com