[asterisk-dev] asterisk dial plan questions

Walter Doekes walter+asterisk-dev at osso.nl
Mon Nov 21 03:24:07 CST 2011

> In the dial plan language of asterisk, what is the difference between prompting the user with a Playback() command vs. a Background() command? I want in a part of my dial plan to ask the user a prompt, and wait for 4 digits to be typed in. I don't want the user to have end the string with a pound or something, just wait 2 seconds after they stop typing. I need to do some tests on the number they entered. If i use background(), and say the prompt, and then follow with a WAIT command, how do i reference the number they just typed in? does asterisk set the ${EXTEN} variable when the user types something?
>
> What I find maddening about the asterisk documentation is a lack of clarity on the sequence of things, and what variables get set when…

While I do know the answers, I direct you to the asterisk-users mailing
list instead.

This list is for development of the application, not configuration/usage.

If you have a specific piece of documentation you want altered (like one
of the 'core show application ...') you're certainly welcome back here
to suggest an improvement. (Even better, file a RFE on Jira -- the bug
tracker.)

Regards,
Walter Doekes