[asterisk-dev] Summary: SIP, NAT, security concerns, oh my!

Bruce B bruceb444 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 23:14:12 CST 2011

Hi Kevin,

** For Asterisk trunk (and possibly Asterisk 10), consider sending failure
listed in the top-most Via header. This would only be done for
non-authenticated requests, e.g. any request that cannot be definitively
associated with a user/peer/friend (through actual authentication, or IP
address/port matching, or any other valid mechanism). A configuration
option (valid only at the [general] level) would be provided to disable
this behavior if necessary.*

How about an *option* that will allow for NO RESPONSE at all if all
authentications fail? This would make Asterisk the most secure because then
the server won't announce what it's running so the hackers will move on
when they don't hear a response back. DDoS will be a thing of past if they
can't establish that there is an Asterisk server. As an option in sip.conf
this can be set to OFF by default but can be turned on if the user wants to
set it to ON. So, at times of debugging the system, one can set this to NO
and other times keep it to YES so outsiders are not told that we are
running an Asterisk server. This adds a very unique layer to security to
the system.

-Bruce