[asterisk-dev] Optional api and weak symbol problem

Yaroslav Panych panych.y at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 17:41:59 CDT 2011

Thanks for answer Kevin

2011/11/4 Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com>:
> Cygwin has never been considered a 'supported platform' in the Asterisk
> community, by its development team, or anyone else that I know of.

Sorry, but first two comments of issue
https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-18102 claims other:
First claims, "Cygwin is unsupported" and issue was closed;
Second comment reopens issues, and there is only one reason to do it -
Cygwin is still supported.
And even third comment indicates this, because there is no reason to
demand patch for unsupported platform.(And patch was sent, it
perfectly fits for while 1.8 branch).
Since issue is still no rejected because of "unsupported platform"
What I understood wrong?

So:
While there are any opened Cygwin related issues with patch demand in
JIRA, Cygwin is considered supported.
In any case, there is a lot of Cygwin and MinGW hacks in Asterisks
sources and build system, so Cygwin is dtill considered supported.
I don't think my conclusions are wrong.

> This is what needs to occur, but this is only one step: on Windows, it is also necessary to build any dependency modules *before* the dependent module, because at the time of linking the dependent module the linker has to be able to see the dependency modules.

I know how works dependency mechanism(and it work in the same way on
all platforms, no only on Windows), and I'm sure asterisk developers
know that. BUT: since menuselect allows to include module without
resolved dependencies, it means it is intended to be so. So there is
no any necessity to build something before something other unless it
stated as required. Since res_crypto is not stated as required for
chan_iax2, chan_iax2 MUST be buildable without it(if it is not, this
means a bug in those modules or in whole package, isn't it?).
In any case all this half-working mechanisms should be reworked.

regards, Yaroslav