[asterisk-dev] Jabber / gtalk / facebook / hints / action on XMPP receive

Stefan Gofferje stefan.gofferje at gmx.de
Sat May 14 07:59:58 CDT 2011

Dear developers,

I tried posting this questions 3 times over about a month on the -users
list but didn't get any answers.

I hope, somebody here can give my some pointers :).

My current asterisk version is Asterisk SVN-branch-1.6.2-r318331

1.) Jabber hints

Are hints not yet implemented in res_jabber?
I have this here:

exten => 3000,hint,gtalk/gtalk_account/mari.xxxxxxx at gmail.com

But the hint doesn't show any difference. It always shows online on the
phone and core show hints always shows that:

6003 at internal   : SCCP/6003      State:Unavailable     Watchers  0
6002 at internal   : SCCP/6002      State:Idle            Watchers  0
6001 at internal   : SCCP/6001      State:Idle            Watchers  0
6000 at internal   : SCCP/6000      State:Idle            Watchers  0
6004 at internal   : SIP/sgofferj   State:Idle            Watchers  0
6200 at internal   : SCCP/6200      State:Unavailable     Watchers  0
3000 at internal   : gtalk/gtalk_account/ State:Idle      Watchers  1

Even if I make SURE that the status of the buddy CANNOT be IDLE by
"route del default" on the asterisk box, the status never changes.

2.) Connect to facebook chat

I'd like my asterisk to send messages via facebook, e.g. on missed calls
or as MWI. I'm privately using the facebook chat without any problems
with kopete. XMPP works. However, I cannot get asterisk to connect to
chat.facebook.com. I always get an authfail back.

Has anyone successfully connected to the facebook chat via XMPP and
could give me a hint?
Or could a developer look into it - maybe facebook uses some auth
mechanism that res_jabber doesn't understand?

3.) Action on incoming XMPP messages

Are there any plans to enable dialplan actions for incoming XMPP
messages? As I understand it, currently, we have to poll potentially
waiting messages "by hand".
I was thinking something similar to the way, asterisk is handling SMS or
fax.
Define the incoming context in the jabber/gtalk/jingle/... config file
and if a text message is received, go to the respective context,
extension e.g. msgrcvd. That would follow some kind of logic, when
looking at the SMS and fax handling.

Greets from Finland,
Stefan

- --
 (o_   Stefan Gofferje            | SCLT, MCP, CCSA
 //\   Reg'd Linux User #247167   | VCP #2263
 V_/_  Heckler & Koch - the original point and click interface