[asterisk-dev] Codec Translation Issue

santosh chintalwar santoshchintalwar at gmail.com
Wed May 4 06:18:11 CDT 2011

Hello List,

I was using one of the commercially available transcoding card for my PC
based Asterisk version 1.6.1.1.
I am using this card mostly for the G723 and G729 codec. The issue here is
Asterisk is giving 11 seconds delay while converting from G729 to G723
codec.

I have worked with the provider and he proved me that there is no issue with
his card, and there is some issue with the Asterisk.

Can any one tell me how codec conversion is happening in Asterisk ?

I know in rtp.c while reading and writing if translator is available,
ast_translate function will be called which intern calls the "codec_xyz"
module for transcoding.

I wanted to know what else is involved while doing the Transcoding.

Thanks,
Santosh.

<http://www.google.com/profiles/103330523519763692172>