[asterisk-dev] A question regarding Milliwatt() application

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Thu Mar 10 15:15:52 CST 2011

Hi!
  I would like to ask, why the Milliwatt generator is started like this:

  res = ast_playtones_start(chan, 23255, "1004/1000", 0);

  i.e. the tone description contains one fragment of 1004 Hz tone and 1000 ms
in length without a pause, which causes the tone to be restarted every second.

  I would use just

  res = ast_playtones_start(chan, 23255, "1004", 0);

  i.e. plain continuous tone.

  I'm asking, because I have patched my tone generator routine (in
indications.c) to produce soft attack and decay of the tones (idea stolen
from the Siemens EWSD exchange, which does the same), which eliminates
transient "clicks" and the tones sound much cleaner, but this modification
causes Milliwatt to make soft "drop outs" of the tone every second, as it
softly mutes and then immediately unmutes the tone back.

  With regards, Pavel