[asterisk-dev] SendText() on a SIP channel in 1.8 ?

Pavel Troller patrol at sinus.cz
Sat Mar 5 15:56:24 CST 2011

Hi Russel,
  I've made some more debugging and comparison with 1.6 chan_sip code. Now
I suppose I've found the cause.
  The phones I'm using do support the MESSAGE method, but they don't state
it in the Allow: header. And it seems that current 1.8 chan_sip now checks a
method to be used against the supplied list and refuses to use a method, which
is not stated as allowed.
  In 1.6 chan_sip, the message is simply sent regardless of the Allow: header
and so it's normally received by the phone and displayed.
  I understand that honoring the Allow: header is a Good Thing, but in this
case it is blocking an otherwise working functionality. The SPA 9xx Linksys
phones are EOL now, so IMHO there will be no new firmware for them, we cannot
hope this will get fixed. And they are still very popular, so it would be good
to support them to the maximum extent.
  What about creating a config option similar to the disallowed_methods one,
but with an opposite meaning, i.e. forcing the method even in the case it's not
in the phone's list ? Something like a "forcibly_allowed_methods" or so...

With regards, Pavel