[asterisk-dev] chan_h323 status in 1.8 branch ?

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Wed Mar 2 07:24:42 CST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 01:04:36PM +0100, Pavel Troller wrote:
> Hi!
>   I was playing a little with chan_h323 in 1.8 SVN branch (version:
> Asterisk SVN-branch-1.8-r309084M). It seems it has a lot of issues. It was
> compiled with h323plus-1.19.0 (the latest which asterisk configure script
> allows) and with the latest pwlib-1.x (pwlib 2.x has issues with BOOL
> typedef and chan_h323 doesn't compile with it).

The BOOL issue is the subject of
https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/1117/ , right?

Anyway, shouldn't specific versions of openh323 and pwlib go hand in
hand?

But this raises the issue of "which openh323 do we want?"

IIR the original development of openh323 stopped, and development
branched to two different groups:

* Opal: The library used by Ekiga (originally: GnomeMeeting). Required
  to support not only H.323, but a host of other functionality.

* H323plus: focus on producing a H.323 stack.

H323plus sounds nicer. Opal tends to be included in Linux distributions
because they have Ekiga.

IIRC both have nicer build system than the legacy openh323 one (that
requires us including a Makefile snippet of theirs, and thus makes the
build process interesting).

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com