[asterisk-dev] asterisk curl function and socket keep alive

Paul Albrecht albrecht at glccom.com
Tue Mar 1 13:53:35 CST 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-01 at 12:36 -0600, Terry Wilson wrote:
> > I asked this question yesterday and didn't get much of a response so
> > I'll try again ... Why is the keep alive socket option used for curl
> > connection requests? The obvious disadvantage of keep alive is that the
> > socket file descriptor is retained until the channel thread terminates.
>
> Don't start a new thread just because you didn't get the answer you want within a day. It isn't going to help. You also were talking with the author of func_curl. He gave you the reason "because it is the default" and suggested that the only reason it hasn't been changed is because no one had submitted a suitable patch to change the functionality.

I'm simply reporting a problem and haven't received an appropriate
response. An appropriate response would be either: it's a feature or
it's a bug. If it's the former than I expect a proper explanation, if
it's the latter than I expect a fix.

What's a proper explanation? It's not "that's the way I wrote the code
so that's the way it works." The author of the function should be able
to give me an application scenario where the particular implementation
makes sense from either an efficiency or usability perspective.

As for submitting a patch, that seems rather pointless since the author
is unable to state a reason for writing the code one way or another.

And finally, simply complaining when someone points out a problem in
code you're maintaining is awfully lame. If you don't have anything
"technical" to contribute to the discussion why do you feel the need to
respond?

> Also, it looks like a weird combination of private conversation and mailing list posting. It gets a little confusing.

Since I wasn't asked to take the previous thread off list I assumed the
responder forgot to cc back to the list. So I cc'ed the list in my

> Terry
> --
Paul Albrecht