[asterisk-dev] Fwd: Asterisk Sip Registration Hooks

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Jul 29 16:07:06 CDT 2011

On 07/29/2011 03:17 PM, Mike Myhre wrote:

> What are the chances of being able to include this code in the next
> release of the current branches (1.6, 1.8 and 10)?

There is zero chance of new features being added to any of those
branches, as they are release branches and are feature frozen.

> I am sure other developers can take advantage of this option, and it is
> very low risk (modeled after the logger.h verboser methods).

In spite of that, I have some good news to report to you: Asterisk 1.8,
10, and trunk already contain a 'security events' framework, with a
simple module that can published the generated events to a log file. The
AMI code has the ability to generate security events (failed logins and
such) in Asterisk 1.8 and later. Russell added this facility quite some
time ago, but so far nobody has stepped up to start adding event
generation in other modules.

I'd encourage you to take a look at how it works in Asterisk 1.8 or
Asterisk 10; it should be fairly simple to add security event reporting
in chan_sip for registration related events. While we still wouldn't
merge a patch to add those into those branches (only trunk), at least if
you distributed such a patch it would *only* have to be the additional
event generation; the module to output them to a log file is already
present. In addition, you could produce a module that acted directly
upon the events, or fed them to another process over D-BUS, or really
anything else that makes sense for getting them to your tool that will
take action... you aren't obligated to emit them to a log file and then
have to watch it for changes and parse the events from it.

--
Kevin P. Fleming