[asterisk-dev] iLBC codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Jul 12 12:49:55 CDT 2011

On 07/13/2011 01:18 AM, Artem Makhutov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andrew Latham schrieb:
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Steve
>> Underwood<steveu at coppice.org>  wrote:

>>> On the mailing list for Opus the subject of iLBC has come up a
>>> couple of
>>> times, and people like Cisco said iLBC is heavily used in numerous
>>> commercial applications. None of the open source VoIP software seem
>>> to find
>>> much demand for it. Interesting difference. The floating point
>>> source code
>>> which GIPS published in the RFC is quite slow, and can potentially be
>>> speeded up quite a lot. Demand is so low that nobody has ever asked
>>> me to
>>> attempt that. I suspect Cisco may be shipping lots of copies, just
>>> because
>>> iLBC is part of the cable VoIP spec, but I think people don't really
>>> use it.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>
>> Like Steve says, it is a listed feature, but rarely implemented...
>
> Many hardphones have the iLBC codec implemented: Grandstream, Cisco,
> Yealink...
>
>> Can anyone give an example of a system that requires this codec and no
>> other?
>
> This is a bad question. What system require speex, g729, g723 or what
> ever codec and no other? Most devices support many codecs.
>
> The main benefit of iLBC codce is that is has a _MUCH_ better audio
> quality then g729 and still requires pretty low bandwith and you do
> not have to pay license fees for using ilbc...
iLBC actually sounds a little worse than G.729, despite running at twice
the bit rate. What you have probably experienced is the effect of
chaining a cell phone codec with G.729 and iLBC. Any chaining of
multiple low bit rate codecs produces horrible results, but G.729 + cell
phone is far worse than G.729 + iLBC. This can make it an interesting
option.

> I am using ilbc and I would like to see it in asterisk core. It is
> pretty annoying to compile it manually every time...
People complain about the CPU load of the open source iLBC. If you are a
serious user, have you ever looked into whether someone might speed it
up for you?

Steve