[asterisk-dev] iLBC codec

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Jul 12 11:29:42 CDT 2011

On 07/12/2011 11:50 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> On 07/12/2011 10:10 AM, Klaus Darilion wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I just stumbled about
>> https://sites.google.com/site/webrtc/ilbc-freeware
>>
>> Has somebody checked the new license? Maybe this would allow Asterisk to
>> include ilbc codec again in the Asterisk sources and build it by
>> default.
>
> We have not taken the time to review the new license, no. There is so
> little demand for iLBC to be included directly in the Asterisk code
> that it hasn't seemed like it would be worth the effort. If someone
> out there wants to review the license and give us an initial
> assessment of whether it appears to be GPLv2 compatible, that would be
> a helpful start.

On the mailing list for Opus the subject of iLBC has come up a couple of
times, and people like Cisco said iLBC is heavily used in numerous
commercial applications. None of the open source VoIP software seem to
find much demand for it. Interesting difference. The floating point
source code which GIPS published in the RFC is quite slow, and can
potentially be speeded up quite a lot. Demand is so low that nobody has
ever asked me to attempt that. I suspect Cisco may be shipping lots of
copies, just because iLBC is part of the cable VoIP spec, but I think
people don't really use it.

Steve