[asterisk-dev] Locking and unlocking order in chan_local

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jan 11 09:50:37 CST 2011

On 01/11/2011 09:41 AM, David Vossel wrote:

> [...]

The structure pointed to by the tech_pvt pointer may have been changed
while it was not locked by the thread in question, but if that thread
holds a reference to the object, it will *not* have been freed. That's
the whole point of astobj2 reference counting; it avoids the constant
need to hold locks just to ensure that objects don't disappear unexpectedly.

However, that code is definitely buggy, in that is making a copy of a
pointer to an ao2 object without increasing the reference count, and
thus it is possible for the object to disappear. The initialization of
'p' should be done using 'ao2_ref(ast->tech_pvt, 1)', and then
'ao2_ref(p, -1)' should be called when p is no longer needed (including
all exit paths from the function).
--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kfleming at digium.com