[asterisk-dev] Debugging modules for Asterisk

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Mon Feb 28 10:53:23 CST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-28 at 17:37 +0100, ISABEL ORDAS ARNAL wrote:
> Is there a way to establish breaking points and debug the code of my
> module for Asterisk? Logging through the console is not very
> efficient.

It's no different than any other C application on Linux.  Use gdb.
However, given that Asterisk is heavily multi-threaded and processing
information in real-time is critical, stepping through code while it's
running isn't terribly practical.

> Do you recommend some IDE for debugging if any?

I don't recommend any of them.  I just use gdb directly when I use it.
However, I at least know of the existence of ddd [1].

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/ddd/

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.   |   Engineering Manager, Open Source Software