[asterisk-dev] Default Caller ID

Malcolm C. Davenport malcolmd at digium.com
Wed Feb 23 15:53:20 CST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 7:42 PM, Tilghman Lesher
> <tilghman at meg.abyt.es> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 23 February 2011 12:28:33 Malcolm C. Davenport wrote:
> >> What say you, community members? Would making some change to the
> >> default caller identification so as to not present "asterisk," be a
> >> good thing? Or, are we garnering more benefit through our spreading
> >> of
> >> "asterisk?" Or, perhaps it's important to your implementation that
> >> "asterisk," remain the default presentation?
> >
> > I suspect there's many systems which are configured presently to
> > deal with
> > the callerid being presented as "asterisk", and changing it is
> > likely to
> > cause a whole new round of "It wasn't broken; WTF did Digium change
> > it?"
> >

> This would go to a new branch, right? Then I think changing the
> behavior should be just fine.
>
> Personally I would go with the simplest approach IMHO: change
> 'asterisk' for 'unknown'. Everyone is familiar with 'unknown'.
>
> /My 2 cents
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> /Saúl
> http://saghul.net | http://sipdoc.net

Yes, it would be something that would be applied for Asterisk 1.10 and forward, not something that would be applied going backwards.

Thanks to you, and everyone else for their feedback thusfar.  If someone else has an opinion, please keep the discussion going.

Malcolm Davenport
Digium, Inc. | Senior Product Manager
Tel/Fax: +1 256 428 6252
malcolmd at digium.com