[asterisk-dev] IAX2 from 1.8.0 upto 1.8.2 incompatible with 1.8.3 and trunk

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Feb 16 13:00:24 CST 2011

On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 07:03 +1300, Alec Davis wrote:
> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=18812 for the full story.
>
> I bring this to the attention of all, as every 'little endian' 1.8.x
> box prior to 1.8.3.rc1 will now reject all IAX2 calls if the other
> party is on a box with 1.8.3.x and above.
>
> Both jcovert and I are saying the same, the patch implemented in
> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=18583 needs to stay, but every
> 1.8.[0-2] release prior to 1.8.3 need to have a new sub release, with
> the same patch that was applied in
> https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=18583.

I was aware of the incompatibility.  Since it was the earlier versions
that were broken, I am of the opinion that we don't really need updated
releases.  People using earlier 1.8.X releases should just upgrade to
1.8.3 or above.  If there is a problem in the latest releases that is
making that not possible, we should put our efforts into fixing those
and not updating old releases.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.  |  Engineering Manager, Open Source Software