[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.10 Update

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Feb 16 11:23:58 CST 2011

Greetings,

Shortly after the release of Asterisk 1.8, we had a developer meeting
and discussed some of the projects that people would like to see in
Asterisk 1.10 [1].  We discussed the schedule there a bit, as well.  Now
that Asterisk 1.8 has settled down and we are well into the development
cycle for Asterisk 1.10, it is a good time to revisit the plans for the
next release.

At Digium, the biggest thing we have been working on for 1.10 so far is
replacing the media infrastructure in Asterisk.  Most of the critical
and invasive plumbing work is done and has been merged into trunk.  Next
we're looking at building up some features on top of that, such as
adding more codecs, enhancing ConfBridge() to support additional
sampling rates (HD conferencing), adding features that exist in
MeetMe() but not ConfBridge(), and enhancing codec negotiation.

Of course, many others have been working on new developments as well.  I
would encourage you to respond if you'd like to provide an update on
some new things that you're working on.

We would like to release Asterisk 1.10 roughly a year after Asterisk
1.8.  This will be a standard release, not LTS [2].  To have the release
out in the October time frame, we need to branch off 1.10 (feature
freeze) at the end of June.  At that point we will begin the beta and RC
process.  If you're working on new development projects that you would
like to get into Asterisk 1.10, please keep this timeline in mind.

As always, comments and questions are welcome.

Thanks,

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/AstriDevCon+2010
[2] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Versions

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.  |  Engineering Manager, Open Source Software