[asterisk-dev] [OT] - Question about dev activity

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Feb 16 11:06:16 CST 2011

These are good answers, indeed.  I'll add some additional info to a
couple of them.

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 09:03 -0300, Andrew Latham wrote:
> For your questions this may be the correct list.  I will take a stab.
>
> 1.  Short Answer: Many!  Long Answer: On the
> https://issues.asterisk.org site there is a drop down of users.
> During commits the SVN messages should contain a link to the issue and
> any testers and code submissions.  This is not always accurate.
> Sometimes a developer finds a bug and fixes it without noticing an
> issue ticket like two people inventing something at the same time.
> There is http://svnview.digium.com/svn which has detailed info on all
> developer commits.  Keep in mind that developers, testers, reports all
> play an important part of the process.

During the development of Asterisk 1.8 (roughly a year), we had:

~200 code contributors
~300 testers that provided feedback
~500 people that reported issues that were closed in that time frame

> 2.  The mailing list has a hard time keeping up at times.  I think the
> mailing list folks could do a count of email addresses.  There are
> forums and IRC.  Many sub projects.  Again the user list on the issue
> tracker may be a good indication of the total active community
> members.  Lurkers who are actively working on Asterisk are hard to
> track.

Community size is hard to define.  We've got thousands of people
subscribed to the mailing lists, tens of thousands registered on
asterisk.org (forums and such), over ten thousand registered on our
issue tracker, over 1000 registered code contributors, an estimated 2
million downloads in 2010 ...

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.  |  Engineering Manager, Open Source Software