[asterisk-dev] Proposal for DAHDI-trunk: deprecate old kernels

Oron Peled oron.peled at xorcom.com
Thu Dec 29 11:42:39 CST 2011

Hi,

Currently there's no policy for deprecating support for old kernels
in DAHDI-linux, so we have all kinds of code monstrosities to
support anything from prehistoric kernels (2.6.8/9) to the latest
and greatest.

I'd like to propose a general policy and then derive a specific
case for the near future.

1. General kernel deprecation policy:

   * Stable DAHDI branches (no change from current practices):
     - Newer kernels are supported as long as the branch is
       supported. Obviously, after that it's in deep freeze.

     - No deprecation of old kernels. What worked before,
       would continue to work even if it is used on a very
       old "Enterprise" distro.

   * Trunk - Latest kernels are always supported

   * Trunk - Old kernels:
     - A deprecation means output a NOTICE(), but still have
       the code to support the old kernel

     - Support removal happens when we decide to remove the
       old code that support building DAHDI-linux on old kernels.
       [bloat removal...]

     - Fast paced distros should be always supported by trunk
       (Fedora, Debian-testing, Ubuntu, OpenSuse, name your favorite).
       These distributions have a kernel life-cycle that is short
       and therefore does not impose maintenance problems for DAHDI-linux.

     - Kernels for current Stable/"Enterprise" distros would be fully
       supported.

     - Kernels for previous Stable/"Enterprise" distros would be
       deprecated (remember, only on trunk).

     - After the next DAHDI-linux stable release, the support code
       for the deprecated versions would be removed from our trunk.
       [yes, those ugly #ifdefs]

2. Let's try to apply this to the near future. As mentioned
   before, we can safely ignore fast paced distros and focus
   only on Stable/"Enterprise"/LTS distros.

   * RHEL/Centos: