[asterisk-dev] Not able to play video file in asterisk 1.8.7.1

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Sat Dec 24 10:40:39 CST 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 3:57 AM, shalu dhamija
<shalu.dhamija at rancoretech.com> wrote:
> Yes i tried playing the .h263 file which only a video file. On google, for
> h263 , i find  video only files.
>
> We are using ffmpeg converter for converting the file to various formats.
> There is an option of adding the audio to video only file  but it does not
> generate .h263 file.  Only .avi files are generated for this kind of
> functionality but asterisk does not support .avi format.
>
> Please suggest what are the pre-requisites/steps/examples to play the video
> file using asterisk as I am badly struck here.
>
> I have tried playing the video file using asterisk 10 also but no success.

The h263 files that Asterisk plays are not portable from other systems.
They are merely a collection of frames sent by Asterisk, and saved into
a file.  The use case for this is to record video voicemail and play the
video voicemail back.  You cannot take H.263 files from other systems
and expect them to play correctly on Asterisk.