[asterisk-dev] V110 support in application

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Tue Aug 30 10:37:21 CDT 2011

30 aug 2011 kl. 17:18 skrev Kevin P. Fleming:

> On 08/30/2011 09:33 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
>> Friends,
>> To lift the review of the app_v110 support to a higher level:
>>
>> We have discussed many times the ability to run "clear data channels" through asterisk and we always came up with a big "no".
>> Before this review goes any further - takes more of our time - we need to discuss this once again. if this is approved, should we go back and discuss clear channel for mixed video/audio with an app as a target?
>>
>> Or is this just like sending fax over a dahdi channel and having a fax app handling it?
>
> Yes, it's more like that for now. Honestly, I'm not sure what is impeding 'clear channel' bridging through Asterisk at this point. if there is an appropriate format available in both channel drivers, nothing in Asterisk is going to manipulate the payload of the frames as they pass through unless it is specifically requested.
>
> Now, having a channel arrive and then be split apart into an audio stream and a video stream (as if they had been separate to begin with) is another matter entirely. With the addition of framehooks (used by the T.38 gateway), it would be completely possible now to implement this multiplexing/demultiplexing as a 'shim' that sat on top of a channel.

Thanks for your feedback. Anyone else that has opinions in this? It's important that we all are on the same path moving forward.

The clear channel discussion I was thinking of was the ISDN data discussion a long time ago. Bringing an unspecified channel from ISDN into an app that converted it to something else and sent it back.

/O