[asterisk-dev] Tagging commits with issue numbers

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Aug 28 11:59:30 CDT 2011

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 11:01:16AM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Sunday 28 August 2011 05:32:01 Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:31:58AM -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:
> > > Related wiki page which may need some updating:
> > >
> > > https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Commit+Messages

[snip]

> > Also, if the bug tracker will display the list of patches effectivly,
> > why bother with including part of that information in patches (only one
> > direction)? Recall that the URL included there is invalid anyway.
>
> Because there may be more than one patch on the issue, solving the
> problem in different ways.  The commit message disambiguates as to
> which patch was actually applied.

In that case it is the actual commit that should be used, and not the
attached patch. The attached patch often gets reworked before getting
applied. Pointing people to the patch may actually be slightly
misleading.

But anyway, I have two separate issues with the svnmerge commit message:

1. It is very verbose, but adds very little useful information
2. If I have to include the commit number, which gets in my way.

It seems I'm on my own with (2), so I'll consider (1) here:

Consider
http://svnview.digium.com/svn/asterisk?view=revision&revision=333410

You get a lengthy header telling you that this is a merge of r333378
from https://origsvn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/branches/1.8
(which is an invalid URL for most people).

This is followed by an extra line of mostly useless metadata (it may
have been useful if it were at the end). Only then you get the actual
commit subject.

So, why not replace all of those headers and indentations with yet
another tag at the bottom of the message?

The rule is that you add it at the end, and thus the one in trunk will
have:

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com