[asterisk-dev] Tagging commits with issue numbers

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sun Aug 28 05:32:01 CDT 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 11:31:58AM -0400, Russell Bryant wrote:

> Related wiki page which may need some updating:
>
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Commit+Messages

I'm not sure I'm happy with it:

https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-18336?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.ext.subversion%3Asubversion-commits-tabpanel#issue-tabs

(I used an abandoned part of the code for testing this)

Commiting to a branch and quoting that message (including the revision)
in the commit log for a different revision forces me to commit them all
one after the other.

In practice I commit them all locally. If possible, I just cherry-pick
the relevant change from one branch to another. If not: I adapt it.

"Signed-off-by" is just a header git easily adds (git commit -s). It
normally implies the identity of the author of the patch (regardless of
who actually commited it). Which makes it the exact equivalent of that
author from that complex-to-parse "Patches" field.

Also, if the bug tracker will display the list of patches effectivly,
why bother with including part of that information in patches (only one
direction)? Recall that the URL included there is invalid anyway.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com