[asterisk-dev] Asterisk 1.8 SIP_CAUSE performance regression

Matthew Nicholson mnicholson at digium.com
Thu Aug 18 08:31:01 CDT 2011

When chan_sip sets MASTER_CHANNEL(HASH(SIP_CAUSE,<chan name>)) the
MASTER_CHANNEL function scans the channel list which can be a slow
operation. Under moderate traffic loads this causes delays in processing
sip messages which can cause retransmission timers to expire.

There is no other way to know the response code of a SIP message, but
depending on what you are using the response codes for, you may be able
to accomplish the same thing a different way. What are you using the
codes for?

Also be aware that this feature is not going away, it simply will be
disabled by default.