[asterisk-dev] Notice of possible crash cause - MWI and SIP history

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Aug 18 06:59:07 CDT 2011

Friends,
After a long time debugging, we found a possible cause of crashes in all Asterisks since 1.6.0.

If you have voicemail notifications, a large number of voicemail accounts and turn on SIP history to debug, you will hit a situation where we have two threads playing with the same SIP structure at the same time, causing memory corruption and crashes in our systems.

The reason is that since 1.6.0 we have the new (and great) event notification system. What we missed was that this created a situation where we suddenly have two threads instead of one in 1.4 working on the MWI sip structure (peer->mwipvt).

The patch I just put up for review adds locking on this pvt. We'll see if this is the patch we agree upon, but we are going to implement it in a number of systems to test. We immediately turned off sip history in all systems while waiting for test results.

Just a quick heads up on the situation and a plee for review on the patch I added to reviewboard.

Thanks,
/O