[asterisk-dev] Suspected deadlocks in Asterisk 1.8 under heavy load

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Wed Aug 17 11:25:56 CDT 2011

From: "Paul Belanger" <pabelanger at digium.com>

Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 10:22 AM

To: asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com

Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] Suspected deadlocks in Asterisk 1.8 under heavy
load

On 11-08-16 10:32 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> On 08/16/2011 09:27 PM, Alistair Cunningham wrote:

>> On 17/08/11 12:23, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

>>> Matt Nicholson committed a change to the 1.8, 10 and trunk branches

>>> today to solve a significant performance issue caused by the change to

>>> chan_sip to return the SIP hangup cause to the 'master' channel. His

>>> change made that behavior optional, even though it was already
released

>>> in 1.8, because of the performance impact it has. We had another

>>> customer report a similar set of symptoms.

>>> If possible, it would be most helpful if you could try that patch on
one

>>> of your affected systems before you downgrade it. I can understand if

>>> your customer is not willing to let you try that, though :-)

>> Kevin,

>> Thank you for this. When you say "optional", are any configuration

>> settings needed to disable it?

> Yes, in Asterisk 1.8 you'll need to set 'storesipcause' to 'off', since

> the default is 'on' to preserve the existing behavior. In Asterisk 10

> and later, the default will be 'off'.

> If we have real-world testing that shows that changing the default to

> 'off' will resolve issues such as yours, we'll consider even changing

> the default to 'off' for the Asterisk 1.8.6 release. It'd be an unusual

> step to take, but unless there is sufficient community demand for this

> feature to be enabled by default, the performance problems it causes are

> not acceptable for users who don't care about the feature.

I believe this is something we should look at doing, even thought it

might be against policy. But like you said, this requires people to

test 1.8.6.0-rc2 (assuming we merge the patch into it). Another option

we discussed on #asterisk-dev is to override the settings in the samples

configs, so new installations benefit from the performance change.

Ideally, sites still using 1.4/1.6.* with large volumes of calls would

be the best testers to confirm the performance impact of enabling and

disabling 'storesipcause' setting.

What is really lost by setting 'storesipcause' to off? As I understand it
it does not effect global variables? What was the usage case for the
feature in 1.8? How would this effect things long term?

Thanks

Bryant