[asterisk-dev] Tagging commits with issue numbers

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Aug 16 10:28:55 CDT 2011

In the past (when we were using Mantis), the policy was that only
commits which were intended to "close" an issue got tagged with the
issue number; a bot then noticed the commit, copied the commit message
into a note on the issue, and closed it (if it was open).

Now that we've switched to JIRA, and we are using the 'Subversion'
plugin for JIRA, *all* commits associated with an issue can appear on
the issue (in a separate tab, so they don't clutter the normal comments
tab). As a result, it would be beneficial if *all* commits associated
with an issue included the issue number. If a commit is made, and then
subsequently other commits are made to correct it, improve it, etc. (but
still to address the same issue), *ALL* of those commits should include
the issue number(s) in the commit message.

In fact, we can even go a step further: if a commit is made in order to
correct a problem caused by work related to a previously resolved issue,
including that previous issue number in the commit message will cause
that commit to show up on both the new and old issues... so if anyone is
reviewing the old issue and looking at commits related to it, they'll
not only see the initial work that was done, but the subsequent
corrections to that work. At some point we could even modify the plugin
to automatically create a 'related to' Issue Link if there isn't one in
place already... but let's start with the simpler stuff first :-)

Please try to get into the habit of doing this; we'll all benefit. Thanks.

--
Kevin P. Fleming