[asterisk-dev] Module to Asterisk function Compiler Issue question

Mike Myhre digium at aeisecure.com
Mon Aug 1 10:47:01 CDT 2011

> Your module is not included in the Asterisk main binary; it's a
> dynamic module loaded at run time. The symbol visibility is controlled
> by the module loader, via the flags that I mentioned above.

I think my confusion came from the assumption that the channels/*.c
files were part of the asterisk binary and they aren't. They are modules
themselves. For that reason, it is probably a big no-no to try to call a
function in a loadable module (chan_sip.so) from a res module that I am
creating. There is the possibility that the module may not be loaded and
asterisk probably doesn't allow that anyway. Is that true? Or can I call
a function that checks to see if that module is present and still be
able to call a function as long as in the load_module function, I use a
function like ast_custom_function_register that points to a structure
defining the function (dial plan functions)?

I now see why my functions were not visible to my res module and I think
the whole picture is starting to come to light.

     Mike