[asterisk-dev] Final call for changes to Asterisk 1.4 and 1.6.2

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Wed Apr 27 06:24:13 CDT 2011

On 04/27/2011 04:03 AM, Olle E. Johansson wrote:

> As I said, I did not want to start a discussion about 1.8 and no, I haven't had time to spend on opening bug reports with adequate information and following up subsequent requests. I have bug reports for pre-1.8 release regarding IPv6 that is still unmanaged though.
>
> Please don't focus on this right now. I want to be able to move forward and help stabilize 1.8, but currently there are no resources available for me to do that (as I stated earlier). The main issue for me here is whether you are going to stop supporting 1.4.

I hope you realize this is puts Russell and the Asterisk development
team in a very difficult position; continuing to provide full support
for Asterisk 1.4 detracts from their ability to improve Asterisk 1.8,
and you're asking them to keep doing so for another 8-9 months (at
least) because of undocumented (but presumably severe) problems in
Asterisk 1.8.

On the other hand, we've got dozens (and dozens) of people that have
deployed Asterisk 1.8 in production (and even high volume) scenarios
successfully, so it does not appear at first glance that these problems
are affecting everyone.

The transition to 'security fix only' for Asterisk 1.4 was already
pushed back quite a bit to take into account Asterisk 1.8 being released
later than planned, and all of these dates were published quite a long
time ago, so this should not be a surprise to anyone.

It has been proposed in the past that possibly such branches could go
into a 'community supported' state, where the Digium team would only
work on security-related fixes, but community developers would be free
to continue applying bug fixes, and the release managers would continue
to produce releases on a similar schedule to what has been done for the
past couple of years. Maybe this idea should be revisited for the 1.4
branch.

--
Kevin P. Fleming