[asterisk-dev] Truncated appdata

Rob LaRubbio rob at larubbio.org
Mon Apr 18 19:10:36 CDT 2011

For a project I'm working on, we are using voiceglue to handle VXML
interactions with asterisk.  The project is using the Java asterisk
interface.  Running against both asterisk v1.6 and 1.8 we are seeing an
issue with the url sent to voiceglue getting truncated.  Specifically if we
send this message:

action: Originate
actionid: 33517025_5#AJ_ORIGINATE_0
application: Agi
data:
agi://localhost/url=http%3A%2F%2F192.168.1.107%3A8080%2Fm%2Fmodule%2Far%2Fvxml%2Far%3Fr%3D1
async: true
variable: __AJ_TRACE_ID=AJ_ORIGINATE_0
channel: SIP/1000
timeout: 10000

What gets passed to voiceglue is this URL:
http://192.168.1.107:8080/m/module/ar/vxml%

I'm new to asterisk and this was my first glance into the code, but it looks
like in main/manager.c in action_originate (Line 3907) it copies the data
element of the message into a fast_orginate_helper struct:

ast_copy_string(fast->appdata, appdata, sizeof(fast->appdata));

However the struct definition for fast_originate_helper only provides 80
characters for appdata (char appdata[AST_MAX_EXTENSION];) and that isn't big
enough for a URL.  (elsewhere in the code I've seen appdata set to 1024)

I've searched through the issue system for 'appdata truncated' but didn't
find anything.  Apolgies if this is a dupe.  Anyway is there another way to
send urls to voiceglue through asterisk that accepts longer URLs, or should
this appdata definition be larger?  (Or am I looking at the wrong part of
the code?)  Thanks.

-Rob