[asterisk-dev] Adding AMR-WB to Asterisk

asterisk at ntplx.net asterisk at ntplx.net
Sat Apr 16 08:46:02 CDT 2011

I remember looking into this when I was working on Polycom HD voice
phones. At the time Polycom was pushing Siren7 which is G.722.1.
But there were patent issues for the codec. The phones also support
G.722 which is now free, so that was a good reason to use only G.722
in Asterisk (vs. G.722.1).

It's the same issue with AMR-WB

AMR-WB is G.722.2 an ITU-T standard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.722.2
But because it's a standard does not mean it's free.

Note that G.722, G.722.1, and G.722.2 are not related in the way they
work. They just share the same name, not the same code/codec support.

Look at the announcement titled: "VoiceAge Announces the Creation of a
Patent Pool for AMR-WB/G.722.2 Speech Compression Standards"
     http://www.voiceage.com/news42.php
Which means they plan to control the licence for G.722.2 and the fees for
use of the codec.

And then licence info:
     http://www.voiceage.com/licamrwb.php

And now for the fees:
    http://www.voiceage.com/licamrwb_licterms.php

So you can add pass-thru support to Asterisk for free, you would need
to pay a fee to transcode it to other formats..... Just like G.729
is now in Asterisk.
    http://www.voiceage.com/licamrwb_FAQ.php

Just because there are patents and fees does not mean it will stop
people from writing code "supporting" G.722.2

--

Andrew Lindh
<andrew at netplex.net>