[asterisk-dev] Manager event for early media

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Sat Apr 16 07:41:34 CDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
> 15 apr 2011 kl. 16.37 skrev Russell Bryant:
>
> > Early media is a generic enough telephony concept that I do believe
> > that it makes sense to capture it on ast_channel. I can't think of a
> > better place for it than channel state.

> Before making a decision here, I want to check how ISDN handles this -
> if it's a call state or just an attribute. In SIP it's not a call
> state and would mess stuff up. It is more of a media state. Do we have
> any media in the early states of the call or not? The same goes for
> MUTE, HOLD. They all indicate the state of the media stream. Maybe we
> should implement a media state in the channel structure.

That's an interesting idea.  Would it have to be a state per media stream (audio, video, text)?  We have a documented design proposal [1] for handling multiple media streams of each type, as well.  We could have that to deal with in the next year.  This is getting more and more complicated.

I think it's worth re-asking ourselves, could this just be a new manager event?  That would be so easy to add if it's sufficient.  Add a Progress event (or some other name...) for AST_CONTROL_PROGRESS in ast_read().

[1] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Media+Architecture+Proposal

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.   |   Engineering Manager, Open Source Software