[asterisk-dev] OpenCL for improved performance transcoding and conferencing

Chris Coleman chris at espacenetworks.com
Tue Sep 28 04:53:03 CDT 2010

> Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 14:40:50 +0800
> From: Steve Underwood<steveu at coppice.org>
> Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] OpenCL for improved performance,
> 	transcoding and conferencing
> To: Asterisk Developers Mailing List<asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com>
>
>    On 09/25/2010 12:34 PM, Chris Coleman wrote:
>
>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:27:34 +0800
>>> From: Steve Underwood<steveu at coppice.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [asterisk-dev] OpenCL for improved performance
>>> 	transcoding and conferencing
>>> To: asterisk-dev at lists.digium.com

>>> Howler are out of business, but they didn't make that card. Its
>>> available from Leadtek. The Windows and Linux SDK is free, and you can
>>> download it and experiment with the potential of the Cell processor for
>>> speeding up algorithms. I bought one a few months ago to experiment
>>> with, and its fairly easy to achieve interesting levels of performance.
>>> Sadly...
>>>
>>> - the Linux SDK is 32 bit only
>>>
>>> - a 64 bit Linux SDK will not be made available
>>>
>>> - the kernel driver module is supplied as object code, so it can only be
>>> run with supported kernels (a couple of RHEL/Centos revisions)
>>>
>>> - source code is not available for most of the SDK, so 64 bit support
>>> can't be developed by the user.
>>>
>>> So, at the of the day the whole thing looks like a dead end.
>>>
>>> The Cell is *nothing* like an nVidia or ATI GPU. It is a far more
>>> general purpose compute engine. Its much closer to the currently stalled
>>> Larrabee project at Intel. It is a very good platform for things like
>>> G.729. A quad core Xeon can easily do more G.729 channels than the Cell
>>> based chip (actually a Toshiba Spurs Engine chip) on these cards.
>>> However, the card takes<20W, and working alongside the main quad core
>>> CPU it is capable of achieving a pretty reasonable balance.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>> Steve, again I really appreciate the insight.
>>
>> It sounds like this Leadtek board I discovered is the the same one you'd
>> been referring to.  Good stuff...
>>
> Kinda good stuff. 48GFLOPs peak rate, and a large percentage of that is
> genuinely available for things like audio codecs. Its a real pity its a
> dead end. I think the Cell has been very badly handled. It looks like
> Intel lack the urge to handle Larrabee any better.
>

>> Then I had a question: just how much higher math performance do u get on
>> the ION gpu vs. the cpu ??
>>
> It depends entirely on the problem. Some things will get close to the
> available 50GFLOPs. A very small number can get far more than that,
> because they can make use of the very high throughput interpolation
> hardware. Most applications will have to do a substantial amount of the
> decision oriented work on the main CPU, and the latency of shuttling
> between GPU and CPU will mean you get only a tiny percentage of the
> available FLOPs.
>

>> Quick search and I'm seeing 2.1 GigaFLOPS on the Atom's inbuilt math
> [...]

Steve,

I didn't mean to imply that previous implementations were not done
competently.

What I meant is , software lags behind the hardware , usually by years.
And I haven't looked at anyone's code for this.

Plus, I have no idea what information others have had access to, or how
much of it, relative to what I've got today.

That's life!  Keep on moving forward, don't stop...

Thanks for the numbers on the experiments with offloading the FFT to the
GPU.

Do you know if they implemented a VOIP codec using that FFT?  Which codec  ?

I looked at the G.729 codec: computational work, and the data transfer
between GPU and CPU.

I picked G.729 because it has a very good voice quality and excellent
compression ratio.

These details, some that I found, and some that I derived, look
promising enough to continue:

The G.729 encoder requires 300,000 clock cycles on a CPU (Celeron 500
using MMX instructions.. I say it's approximately the same as today's
Atom 1.66 GHz ) to convert one 10ms frame of raw audio to compressed G.729.
100 frames of raw audio must be encoded per second.
For low jitter performance, the encoding speed for each frame should be
less than 2.5 ms, or less than 4.15 million CPU cyclesat 1.66GHz, per frame.

G.729 decoder is similar, but less complex, only 100,000 CPU clock
cycles required per frame to decode.

To transfer the data for one frame to the GPU takes approximately 640
CPU cycles of the Atom, plus some overhead (Minimum requirement,
assuming PCIe 1x bus, which is how the ION is implemented.  Might take
more cycles. Must look into this more).

About the same time,  640 CPU cycles, to get the compressed frame from
the GPU back to the CPU.

If the decoder and encoder were run all on the CPU, the system would run
out of horsepower at 10 decodes and 10 encodes running simultaneously,
and probably more like 8 (overhead for OS, IO, etc).

Running this G.729 codec on the GPU would uses nearly zero CPU, only
enough CPU instructions needed to transfer the packets back and forth to
the GPU: 64000 cycles (approx) per second, and trigger the GPU to encode
or decode a frame.

That is about 0.004 % CPU usage using GP-GPU for G.729.

It's surely 1% in the real world because I'm approximating the data
transfer overhead between CPU<->GPU.

Your input would be welcome...