[asterisk-dev] OpenCL for improved performance, transcoding and conferencing

Stefan Schmidt sst at sil.at
Sat Sep 25 00:44:34 CDT 2010

Am 25.09.2010 06:34, schrieb Chris Coleman:
> Only then will we REALLY have the answer, to the question -- how much
> will the asterisk community benefit from 50 GigaFLOPS of free GP-GPU
> horsepower offered by the Nvidia ION ??
>
> It's hard to know, until you try it out and see...
>

> Chris

Hello chris,

you allways talk about Atom CPUs. I dont know how many user will use
asterisk in that evironment atleast when it comes to heavy usage of
transcoding but most of us use a Server System where the whole
Architecture (not only CPU) is build for much more througput than a
board with an atom on it.

Do you really think i want to loose an expensive PCI(e) Slot in my
server just to build in a GPU for transcoding? I say expensive cause a
normal 1 HE Server like from HP which i use, has only ONE PCI Port.
I would need to buy a 2 HE Server to have space for a ISDN Card and a
GPU. And to be honest, a second 1 HE server would be much better than
just 1 HE for a GPU for transcoding.

I understand that you think this could improve Transcodings on a special
System environment but i think this environment is not what someone call
a typical asterisk setup.

So if you want more power in transcoding get more power in your server
and dont use homeuser equipment or would you go to a car-race with an
Family Van?

best regards

Stefan