[asterisk-dev] OpenCL for improved performance transcoding and conferencing

Chris Coleman chris at espacenetworks.com
Wed Sep 22 18:10:43 CDT 2010

Paul Belanger wrote:
 >Why are you transcoding audio?

Asterisk -- from what I understand, and from my own experience in audio
-- automatically decodes the audio from each conference call
participant, so it can mix the audio together, re-encode, and transmit
the new audio mix back to each conference participant.

You can't mix encoded (compressed) audio streams without decoding them
first, then re-encode them!

This is essentially equal in computation to a transcode.

Also, each participant may require that the audio stream sent back to
them be in a different audio codec from everyone else....