[asterisk-dev] Change Control Procedures

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Wed Sep 15 14:54:12 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 18:00 +0100, Dave WOOLLEY wrote:
> About a year ago, reviewboard started being used, and there seems to
> be a trend to push things from issues.asterisk.org to
> reviewboard.digium.com.  However, I’ve been unable to find a change
> control procedures document for Asterisk explaining when and how it
> should be used.

The process hasn't changed too much.  The process for submitting changes
for inclusions is still to go through a report on issues.asterisk.org.
For those with direct commit access, changes are just merged directly.
We have always done peer review of each other's code, we just now have a
tool to aid in the process.  Also, now that we have a nice system for
aiding the code review process, much more peer review is being done.

As far as documentation of these things, you can find some of it in
doxygen:

   http://www.asterisk.org/developers/documentation

such as the issue tracker workflow (more for bug marshals than patch
submitters, but still relevant):

   http://www.asterisk.org/doxygen/trunk/MantisWorkflow.html

and reviewboard usage guidelines:

   http://www.asterisk.org/doxygen/trunk/Reviewboard.html

and finally, the guide for how to report issues is on asterisk.org:

   http://www.asterisk.org/developers/bug-guidelines

I have been working on some documentation updates lately to help update,
clarify, and centralize this type of information that will be made
available in the somewhat near future.

--
Russell Bryant
Digium, Inc.  |  Engineering Manager, Open Source Software