[asterisk-dev] Problems compiling Asterisk

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saghul at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 08:02:21 CDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 2:45 PM,  <tomyee3 at verizon.net> wrote:
> I've been searching for a "getting started" FAQ and getting frustrated
> searching the mailing lists. At the risk of incurring the wrath of the
> old-timers on this list, I have a problem in doing a simple "make". What's
> worse, I had things working before on a different machine which died, so I'm
> really baffled. I come from the Windoze world, which might account for my
> denseness, for which I apologize. I'm running on Ubuntu.
>
> I downloaded the 1.6.2.11 tarball and ran configure and make with the
> following results:

Errors are pretty self-explanatory, see inline comments :-)

> configure: *** XML documentation will not be available because the 'libxml2'
> development package is missing.
> configure: *** Please run the 'configure' script with the '--disable-xmldoc'
> parameter option
> configure: *** or install the 'libxml2' development package.

You need to install the *development* package and run configure again.

> thomasyee at ubuntu:~/development/asterisk-1.6.2.11$ sudo apt-get install
> libxml2

That is not the development package. On Ubuntu it's libxml2-dev.

> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> libxml2 is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 269 not upgraded.
> thomasyee at ubuntu:~/development/asterisk-1.6.2.11$ make
> make: -F.: Command not found
> /bin/sh: Illegal option -
> /bin/sh: Illegal option -
> /bin/sh: Illegal option -
> /bin/sh: Illegal option -
> /bin/sh: Illegal option -
> /bin/sh: Illegal option -
> /bin/sh: Illegal option -
> /bin/sh: Illegal option -
> /bin/sh: Illegal option -
> /bin/sh: Illegal option -
> /bin/sh: Illegal option -
> ****
> **** The configure script must be executed before running 'make'.
> ****               Please run "./configure".
> ****
> make: *** [makeopts] Error 1

As you can see, you need to call configure before doing make, but as
you didn't have the proper libxml2 development package installed the
configure wasn't really executed.

Regards,

--
/Saúl