[asterisk-dev] SCF Licencing

Julian Lyndon-Smith asterisk at dotr.com
Thu Oct 28 16:36:35 CDT 2010

I am very interested in this from the licence

"It is Digium’s interpretation that because the Asterisk SCF APIs, by
definition, expose direct, and indirect, complex remote, and
non-remote, function calls on objects provided by Asterisk SCF’s
programs, that usage of these APIs between the program hosting the
object(s) and the program accessing the object(s) creates a derivative
work that must be covered wholly by GPLv2, even if the mechanism used
to invoke the function calls employs a cross-process or network
connection. As a result, any program that employs the Asterisk SCF
APIs to perform its intended functions, and would not be able to
perform those intended functions without using these APIs to
communicate with Asterisk SCF programs, or derivatives of Asterisk SCF
programs, is subject to the terms of the GPLv2 when it is distributed,
unless the distributor of the program has obtained explicit written
permission from Digium to distribute it under a different license."

Does this mean if you use the SCF version of the Asterisk AMI, your
system then becones GPLv2 ?

I don't think so. Guess this adopter won't be adopting ;)

Unless, of course, (quite easiliy) I have the wrong end of the stick.
Please be it so.

Julian

--
Follow "Ode To Politics" by HB Tasker at http://twitter.com/HBTasker