[asterisk-dev] badshell

Kurt Lidl kurt.lidl at cello.com
Fri Oct 22 08:55:14 CDT 2010

On 10/22/2010 9:50 AM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> On 10/21/2010 09:45 PM, jeff at ocjtech.us wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 6:16 AM, Tzafrir Cohen<tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com>  wrote:
>>> As a side note, another minor sad result of the tarball becoming
>>> DFSG-comliant was that we could no longer strip out the big MOH files
>>> from it. Compare
>>>
>>> http://snapshot.debian.org/package/asterisk/1%3A1.6.2.0~dfsg~beta3-1/
>>> size of the tarball: 7,234,430
>>>
>>> http://snapshot.debian.org/package/asterisk/1%3A1.6.2.0~rc3-1/
>>> size of the tarball: 23,042,789
>>>
>>> Most of this is the extra two tarballs of the MOH sound files and the
>>> much smaller core sound files (we still package the latter from the
>>> asterisk tarball, but plan to remove it in the future, as we package the
>>> asterisk core sound files separately).
>> Yeah, it would be *excellent* if the sound files could be removed from
>> the tarballs.  For Fedora/RHEL I package the core sounds separately
>> and will eventually have the MOH and extra sounds packaged as well.
> It would be *excellent* for the 8-10 people that repackage Asterisk for
> distributions, and *non-excellent* for every person who downloads
> Asterisk for the first time.

Well, it would be "excellent" for me too. And I don't repackage Asterisk
for anybody, just
use it internally.  In fact, I generally go through and strip out all
the gsm sound files and
leave install just the ulaw files.  Because I mostly want it to sound
good all the time, and
I only have ulaw speaking devices in my configuration.

-Kurt